Okay, so I was a bit tired yesterday morning when I wrote a post bemoaning the fact that I had already broken my run of daily posts but that I was going do better with the next run. I thought I would then do something else before proof reading and hitting "publish". Looks like I never did hit publish. But it must be saved as a draft somewhere, Blogger is still new to me so I'm not sure where. I hope I'll be able to find it again soon. So maybe today will have two posts for the price of one.
I am a terrible typist, though I used to be better. As a child I taught myself to touch type on an old stiff manual typewriter. My bad habits started there as I didn't have the strength in my little fingers to press the keys so I used other fingers but I was still pretty fast and accurate, especially when I got a modern typewriter and then a computer (a TRS-80). However, when I went to university I didn't take my new computer (a BBC B) and my typing skills fell away - yes I am so old that laptops didn't exist let alone form part of the average student's study equipment. So I taught myself to type again after university but I was lazy and I now use just two fingers of each hand plus my right thumb - pretty poor.
So, this has got me thinking about proof reading. It is something that has to be done. But how long should I leave between draft and proofing. There has to be some gap otherwise I miss my errors because I read what I wanted to write not what was actually written. But if I leave it too long I forget about it and, maybe, lose it. I think it is probably just another work avoidance behaviour, proofing is boring. From now, I will just leave it long enough to make a cup of tea and then check through. Let's see how this works for this post.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment