Thursday, 1 October 2009

Scheduling

Well, I only made two postings before missing one. I hope this post starts a longer run of daily posts. I was busy yesterday getting ready to give a tutorial at our regular group meeting. However, that is no excuse - or as it is termed in my current read - it is a specious barrier. The book is, "How to Write a Lot" by Paul J. Silvia and is subtitled, "A Practical Guide to Productive Academic Writing". Silvia has no sympathy for those that find themselves short of time for writing. The productive writer schedules time and jealously protects that schedule. I have now put aside some time each week and I have every intention in sticking to it.

Silvia also is lacking in sympathy for those do not stick to their schedules. He says people are good at scheduling other activity such as watching favourite TV shows and should be able to schedule their writing. I agree that scheduling my writing will be a key step forward, but I have spent much of the last decade removing schedules from my life. I rarely watch live TV, I routinely records all the programmes I plan to watch on my PVR and watch them as time allows. I am now considering breaking the link to live radio and listen to just podcasts and other on-demand audio. Sticking to the writing will, I am sure be tough, we'll see how I get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment